Primary School Design Technology Workshops KS1 & KS2
These are the main objectives covered in the workshops. Other objectives are covered and depend on the workshop chosen. These objectives are summarised in the workshop overview.
Key Stage 1 DT Technical Knowledge
• design purposeful, functional, appealing products for themselves and other users based on design criteria
• generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through talking, drawing, templates, mock-ups and, where appropriate, information and communication technology.
Key Stage 2 Technical Knowledge
• build structures, exploring how they can be made stronger, stiffer and more stable
• explore and use mechanisms [for example, levers, sliders, wheels and axles], in their products.
Key Stage 2 DT Design
• apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures.
• understand and use mechanical systems in their products [for example, gears, pulleys, cams, levers and linkages].
• understand and use electrical systems in their products.
• apply their understanding of computing to program, monitor and control their products.